Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The art of self-publishing


I read with interest a Cory Doctorow post on Boing Boing today in which he announces that he is self-publishing his new short story collection.

Cory is offering the book in four different options: a paperback from Lulu ($18), an audio book ($10/$5.50), an electronic version (free), and a limited edition, bespoke hardback ($275).

In all likelihood, when I'm finished revising my novel, I'll self-publish it. This is for a variety of reasons, but increasingly it seems that allowing a corporate entity to publish your work is tantamount to handing your wallet to a stranger on the train.

The limited edition format is closest to the publishing model I'm considering pursuing with my novel. There are other options, but I feel that one is the most fitting.

In any case, I'll continue to update on these matters as they move forward.

[Video by Clayton Cubitt]