Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Congo



I've written previously about Condition: Critical, an online project created by MSF, otherwise known as Médecins Sans Frontières or Doctors Without Borders. The project focuses on the ongoing conflict in Eastern Congo, particularly the women and children who have been victimized by a civil war in which rape is used as a war tactic.

(For expert coverage of the conflict, Jeffrey Gettleman does it better than anyone else. See: "Rape Epidemic Raises Trauma of Congo War" and "Rape Victims' Words Help Jolt Congo Into Change.")

Today is the launch day of the final chapter of Condition: Critical. This week, the site will feature a series of videos, including that of Françoise, who was severely burned when her home was set on fire, and the door locked. One of her children died in the fire. The other died at the hospital.
Whichever way I look, forward or back, I can't see a beginning or an end. I ask myself, how will I live my life? The pain of my body is bearable. It's nothing compared to the wounds in my heart.
If you want to donate to MSF, you can do so here.

[Condition: Critical, YouTube, Blip]