Tuesday, April 13, 2010

TRIGGER WARNING: DO NOT READ THIS POST!!!



I wrote a post on True/Slant about feminist blogger abuse of TRIGGER WARNINGS which are supposed to signal you that SOMETHING TERRIBLE IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN because blog posts are SCARY and if you do not understand this you are a CERTIFIABLE ASSHOLE.
"After some in-depth research (like, half an hour, maybe?), I was able to conclude that, for whatever reason, the feminists are all over their TRIGGER WARNINGS, applying them like a Southern cook applies Pam cooking spray to an overused nonstick frying pan. It’s almost impressive, really. I guess the idea is that blog posts are TOTALLY SCARY, and if you are EASILY UPSET, if you see a TRIGGER WARNING coming, you can look away REALLY FAST, or click elsewhere, so you won’t, you know, FREAK THE FUCK OUT."
Since, I've been proclaimed a certifiable asshole, willfully ignorant, an invalidator, a non-friendly in the "cold, uncaring place" that is cyberspace, cruel, mocking, Glenn Beck-esque, an "Internet tough guy," "Teabaggerian," basely ignorant and lacking in empathy, simple, "a fucking tool," "an unsophisticated thinker," worse than moronic, "dangerous," a crappy journalist, a poor googler, lacking in analytical skills, someone who can use my "melon as a hat rack," a troll, "disgusting," a "supercilious asshole," "warped," incapable of empathy, intellectually dishonest, a "Sister F***er," "purposely obtuse and beyond help," and "the kind of person who’d take [my] Vietnam-veteran granddad to see The Deer Hunter without warning him that it’s not actually about hunting deer."

Those were only the comments from my True/Slant blog. I didn't bother reading the comments here, here, and here. Oh, and this guy compares me to a "a festering boil on [his] neck." And I'm not even getting into the hate mail.

On the other hand, writer and best friend Lydia showed up and weighed in, as well:
"Or what if we could just be honest, and admit that when the topic of the blog is feminism, the TRIGGER WARNING on every other post is like a flashing neon sign, attracting *more* attention to a particularly explicit post, even as it purports to deflect the attention of those to whom it might actually be relevant."
Additionally, remember when the guys at Manhood101.com called me a "dumb cunt," etc.? Well, apparently, they've had a change of heart, as they showed up, too.

I wish someone had put a TRIGGER WARNING in front of the comments; then, I wouldn't have read them at all. Unfortunately, it seems the fact that I put a TRIGGER WARNING in the title of my post, "Trigger Warning: This Blog Post May Freak You the F*** Out," didn't dissuade TRIGGER WARNING advocates from reading it. Funny how those TRIGGER WARNINGS work, isn't it?