Wednesday, March 17, 2010

El Toronado!



Over the last few months, I've been increasingly interested in living a car-free life. Don't get me wrong, I love cars. I love cars with every fiber of my being. My preference is very large cars. Cars most typically driven by old ladies, cops, and drug dealers. (Strange those three groups have similar taste in automobiles, no?) Do not get me started on Grand Marquis. Or the CVPI I drove a few months ago. (That I did not buy that car is one of my life's great regrets -- omahgawd, that baybuh could moooove.) Sure, anyone could drive a big black SUV (and if you want to buy me a Yukon Denali, do not be shy about it), but I like those sort of battle axe type of cars, you know? One of my first cars was a 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. 'Twas cherry. And it flew. And it had whitewall tires. Oh, how I loved that steel beast so.

And yet, a part of my brain in recent years has developed a fondness for unloading. For the letting-go-ing. For the why-the-fuck-do-I-need-all-this-stuff-anyway-ness of it all. My current mobile is muy grande. And it keeps needing things that require money. Like repairs. And gas. And insurance. And sometimes I fantasize about just walking up to someone, and throwing the keys at them, and being like, "Here, fucking take this shit." Yet, I haven't. Yet.

There is really nothing like palming the wheel as you fly around the corner in a vehicle that sails down the street like a 5,000-pound land yacht. So, one day, I do hope to unload my car. Hopefully, something better will come along to replace it. In the meantime, let's enjoy this 1967 Oldsmobile 70-X Toronado customized by George Barris himself. It's only $187,770. If there's any place I know I could finish my novel, it's in that rear seat lounge with a writing desk.